Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2005 Nissan Primastar. Due to a sudden power loss

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 2005 Nissan Primastar. Due to a sudden power loss and subsequent break down I have had the high pressure fuel pump, cam belt and water pump replaced at my local diesel specialist. Following the work the van ran for a couple of minutes, went into limp mode and stopped and couldn't be restarted. The garage recovered it and have since changed a glow plug (although they said that this wouldn't have been a cause of the problem) and a sensor (cant remember which one!)
They also had an auto electrician plug into it and he detected no electrical faults. I wasn't charged for this extra work!
Since picking it up from the garage it runs like a new van BUT on two occasions on a 20 mile journey I had a loss of drive but no engine management light came on. I took it out of gear, revved it a few times and it went back to normal.
Have you any idea what might be causing this before I take it back to the garage yet again. They seem as stumped as me as to what the problem may have been after the pump etc was replaced initially.
Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the engine is still running and revs up properly when this loss of drive occurs and the issue is the transmission slips or freely accelerates in drive but no vehicle movement occurs this may be a fault with a valve body issue in the transmission/gear box itself or possibly an issue with a solenoid or sensor in the transmission/gear box itself.The transmission/gear box will need checked/tested further to see if the fault can be located and repaired from there.If this is not what is occuring here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.