martin jones
martin jones, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years as a mechanic and mot tester, owned own business for 10 years city and guilds trained
20682938

Car won't start... Changed Timing belt, cylinder head oil

Customer Question

Car won't start... Changed Timing belt, cylinder head oil seals, and distributor o-ring. Also lapped valves and seats. Before I started work I set the engine to TDC, number 1 cylinder on compression stroke, aligned timing marks on camshaft pulley and crankshaft pulley. After I reinstalled component I set valve clearance and tried to start the car.
When I set the engine to TDC the rotor cap was pointing at the number 4 spark plug wire. Is this correct?
1993 Honda Civic DX
Engine type: D15B7
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  martin jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome to JA.COM, i will try to assist you with your problem, with the camshaft and crankshaft marks aligned, the rotor arm should be pointing to the number 1 cylinder lead, there should be a aligning mark,usually a line on the face of the distributor,the rotor arm should be pointing at this point, please check, also what method did you use to set the valve clearance, kindest regards ***** ***** you require any further help please ask, if not, please press the GREEN BUTTON to accept, as this is how i get paid, once again regards martin.

Hi there, just a quick follow up to see if you require any further help, kindest regards martin,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry martyzs180, I’ve been out. I had only one day to work on the can and you answer came a little late. I do have further questions but I will get back the you later. Later Ruben

Hi there Ruben, thats fine, let me know if you require any further help, kindest regards martin.