Ron, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  ASE tech with 34 years of fixing cars
7276279

Im having electrical issues with my ford expedition 2000 XLT

Customer Question

hi
im having electrical issues with my ford expedition 2000 XLT 4.6li model
we managed to replace the original battery with a taller one and ive used it for years already until lately the battery positive touched the hood momentarily and everything shorted out and the Overdrive indicator kept flashing. Now im getting these error codes from OBD2 scan tool:
P1747 - EPC solenoid short circuit
P0755 - Shift Solenoid B malfunction
P0443 - EVAP emission control system purge valve C fault
P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P1409 - EGR vacuum regulator solenoid circuit
aircon not working
the touching of the hood to the battery positive terminal occured for 2-3 seconds while the engine is running and we heard the engine run wild for 1-2 seconds and died. we immediately raised the hood and found the negative cable smoking for a brief 3 seconds. we diconnected batt positive immediately.
i tried clearing the codes and then started the car. the blinking OD lamp is still there and those fault codes still come back. the engine runs but its in limp in mode and sluggish. no CEL shows.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common thing that all of the circuits share is the power circuit , I would start first with checking the #23 in the battery junction box (under hood fuse panel, if its blown and or missing it can cause all of these codes to set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hithanks for the reply.
ive just checked fuse 23..as well as the rest of all other fuses and they are not blown.
fuse 23 is the 2nd row rightmost column isnt it?
under driver dashboard.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No it not in the interior fuse panel, its located in the under hood panel and its the one you need to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you pls show me the diagram you are using. im using the original user manual for my vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no need to discuss by phone. written is better for now so i have reference. tks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok wait. let me check that fuse 23 under the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hold on i found fuse 23 on my manual already under the hood. wait as my key was locked inside the car oh my..
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im using the fuse panel under the hold where its located as I mentioned. See the diagrams in the links below, copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuse%2023%20sept%2029.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuse%20%232%20Sept%2029.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pls wait as my key got locked inside when the battery is disconnected.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem, I'm here all day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Ronsorry late reply. just managed to have it opened by a key specialist today.
fuse 23 under the hood is very much ok. i have checked them previously including the relays both under hood and under dashboard. nothing busted and i even tried to swap the relays.i also checked the fusible link in the battery positive. nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also checked the diodes beside the fuse 23. they are fine. could the shorting of hood to positive terminal might have fried something?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is very possible something could have shorted out and it very likely has to be something in the circuit your setting the codes for which include the HO2S circuit and the Transmission or even the PCM (computer) . Unfortunately with out being there its would be very hard to say where it is .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
how do i proceed here. do i end up this conversation and wait for another guy to help me with my problem?
what must i do next pls?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my problem is not yet fixed and my last resort is to bring it to a nearby ford dealership in limp in mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we try any other procedure pls?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I will open the question back up for you in hopes another expert has something different to offer. If so, they will respond back you.