Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I've got a Renault Laguna 2003 1.9 dci and I'm having

Customer Question

Hi. I've got a Renault Laguna 2003 1.9 dci and I'm having trouble with the egr valve. I've had 3 egr valves in a couple months. It starts with missing power for a few seconds then it kick back in, bit eventually the car will cut out then wont turn over. On all occasions its been because the head of the valve has snapped off. Any ideas why this keeps happening? On another note the fuel gauge has stopped working so I was thinking the active rengeration cant take place as it doesn't know how much fuel I've got, I think its a min of 20 litres for active to take place. So the soot is building up, valve becomes stuck then eventually snaps as it try's to open.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all started happening around the Tim my fuel gauge packed it. Found it its due to no power getting to the sender unit. How would I go about getting power back to the unit? I've also got oil leaking out the housing that the egr valve is put into. The large black pipe left of the egr
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If there is excess carbon build up in the engine or valve this may be causing this issue here as well as possible fault with excess back pressure in the exhaust system due to a restricted exhaust component.I would have the fuel gauge issues corrected here and the carbon cleaned to see if this corrects the egr fault here as well as the exhaust tested/checked for any restrictions possibly.

As for the fuel gauge issue in allot of cases I find the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank is the cause not sending the correct signal to allow the gauge to operate properly.If you know for sure you have no power or signal (as some gauges do not use a power signal they use resistance instead) I would have the wiring checked leading to the gauge to see if any wiring issues are found needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,I've checked the power going to the sender unit and found that theres no power at all getting to it. I havent got behind the dashboard or to the relay but as far up as i could.When the sender unit failed it was giving out false readings but I had a new unit put in, then I did the power check.The car is having a MOT done tomorrow so I'll make sure they also check for excessive back pressure in the exhuast and let you know what they say.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the back pressure test is a good idea to see if a fault is found.I would also trace and check the wiring to the fuel sender to see if any wiring issues are found.

Thanks Pete