sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My power steering has gone and the steering has become

Customer Question

hi my power steering has gone and the steering has become extremely difficult
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could cause a loss of power steering.

If the fluid is low due to a leak then it will cause a loss of power steering eventually. You would be hearing the pump whine if that is the case.

If there is no pump whine then it's possible that the belt has come off, but you would also lose a/c. If the a/c still works and the fluid is full then the most likely cause is a failed pump. A power steering analyzer would be needed to check pump output, but a sudden loss of assist is almost always caused by a failed pump. Parts and labor prices will vary a bit depending on where you go and each shop will have a different labor rate, but replacing the pump will run somewhere in the area of $400 USD.