sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Corolla Verso '54' registration. Recently my key

Customer Question

I have a Corolla Verso '54' registration. Recently my key fobs have been playing up - low battery I suspect and one of the pair does not work completely. So I have used the manual key, on and off.
Anyway, I find yesterday my car won't start. There is power in the battery but something is wrong. The steering wheel is locked and the break pedal locked. I try to start the car and lots of lights come on but the engine won't start. This is something different to battery failure. Has some auto security system somehow activated, maybe because I have been using the manual key??
Should I call breakdown recovery or will they be unable to start it too? Fortunately I don't need the car for a few days so I can take a bit of time over this. Thanks for your help.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If everything powers up but turning the key to the crank position doesn't allow the engine to crank there are quite a few possibilities. You may have a failed starter, starter relay, blown fuse, a transmission range sensor related issue, the ignition switch, wiring, or the engine controller may not be awake.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?

Do you know if the engine controller has communication with a scan tool?