Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2006. It does not start. MB says it is the ecu that

Customer Question

Hi, I have a for four 2006. It does not start. MB says it is the ecu that needs to be replaced. When ignition is turned on all electricals work as well as central locking. The cooling fan also comes on but car doesn't even crank. Help please.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The engine computer/ecu can be a common component to fail and cause issues like this here.It is also known to turn on the engine fan when it has an internal electrical fault in some cases.All other components may work in the vehicle when this fails as allot of the other electronics are controlled by other ecu's in the vehicle.I suspect the dealer is correct here if they have tested this correctly with the ECU itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Pete,I was actually asking if the ecu can be reset manually and if so can you provide the steps?Regards
Natie
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the ecu needs replaced it will need setup and programmed by either a dealer or authorized repair center with their computer.If being reset this needs done with the same either a dealers computer or authorized service centers computer as these are the only ways to do this.

Thanks Pete