Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a early 2005 Kia magnetis. 4weeks ago it broke down

Customer Question

Hi Eric I have a early 2005 Kia magnetis. 4weeks ago it broke down got recovery out an d it was the cam shaft sensor replaced it was difficult to start but it did. Took it for a drive 2 or 3 miles no probs but the next day it would not start . Checked it it was only firing on two cylinders 1and 2 from the front of the engine swapped coil packs over both worked fine same as plugs and leads changed start fail sensor still the same checked top wiring loom (the one across the top of the engine no prob) being told now it might be the engine ecu any more ideas before I go to this expense also if I can get an ecu second hand will it go straight in or will it have to be mapped thanks Dennis
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would first have a cylinder compression test done on all cylinders to see if one or more are low on compression.I have seen issues with low compression on one or more cylinders due to valve issues in the cylinder head itself.If this has not been done this needs done.If this is found o.k. the fuel injectors need tested for the cylinders that are misfiring to see if any issues are found with the injectors needing cleaned or replaced.

If these are all found to be o.k. the ECU itself can cause this here needing replaced.If it is replaced with a used one it will need programmed by either a dealer or authorized repair center for it to work on your model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem is cylinders 3 and4 aren't firing nothing to do with compression
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you have no spark at these cylinders and the wiring is o.k. to these cylinders this does sound like the engine ecu itself is at fault causing this issue here.I have seen the ecu fail before and can cause a no spark issue on these cylinders needing replaced.

Thanks Pete