Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Iv a diesel yaris d4d it will not start but if i use easy

Customer Question

iv a diesel yaris d4d it will not start but if i use easy start it goes and runs fine with no problems or misses drives at speed nothing wrong with it, switch ift off and it does not start its had fuel filters cleaned, new fuel injection pump, new heaters
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it shouldrun for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at anytime. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not have an electric pump
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

in that case it may have developedan air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filterhousing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive done what you suggested and it fired up so i looked for leaks and found a chaffed(back to the braid) fuel hose which ive repaired,but on previous attempted cures which caused the system to be bled its taken about a week to reoccur so effectivly i am waiting that time out but its looking good and i wish to follow will a YES! or futher Q`S?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

you can rate me at any time and continue with the conversation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive greased all the fuel joints and checked they are all tight, the engine will start after it has been bled out at the injectors but after about 5 start/stops and 2 miles it will not start but whence started with `easy start` it runs with no issues at all.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the other thing that would be worth checking is the state of the pickup pipe inside the tank, any issues or blockages here will also give the issue you describe

you should be able to acess this by lifting the back seat cushion and removing the access plate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The filter in the tank is clear, ive blead the diesel and it can last just a few times or a week before starting becomes difficult again (about 3 to 5 worstening starts) before it will not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fault codes are p1633 & p1228
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

ok that P1633 code is a faulty throttle / air flap which I'm not sure if your car has or not?

but the P1228 points to a common fault with the SCV valves that control the flow of fuel into the pump

see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhD1C5L2KYI