Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Vw/Audi Tech
Experience:  15 yr Master VW/AUDI Technician Shop Foreman
19871424

I've got a 2007 2.0 TDI B6 Passat. 103Kw 140bhp. The

Customer Question

hey! I've got a 2007 2.0 TDI B6 Passat. 103Kw 140bhp. The cigarette lighter fuse for the cabin 12v sockets keeps blowing. As soon as I put a new fuse in and turn the ignition on.. the damn thing blows. I've tried a new 460 Main power relay and no fix :( Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need the vin # ***** the vehicle and in the back where the spare tire there is a 3x5 white sticker . i need a pic of that sticker to get the correct options code to get the wiring diagram.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, thank you for getting back to me about this. I will send you the requested details later on today... I've had a very busy weekend with work. Hopefully the lume details will help.Regards.Kelvin.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok !!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the VIN... Pic of sticker to follow..
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

that is a good start just need the sticker pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I've finally got the sticker photo... Please see attached. Hope this helps.Cheers.Kelv.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

perfect let me get my info and will get back!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any update yet? I've replaced the front 12v socket, still no joy :/
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

in any of the cig lighter is there any metal in any of the sockets front and rear? does the fuse blow when the socket is disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing in either sockets... Fuse still blowing with both disconnected...
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

now from the fuse remove and then from the after fuse leg of the fuse terminal to the ground measure with a ohm meter to see if the wire is grounded . if so then you will need to stretch a new wire from the fuse box to the cig lighter connector

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

you will need a digital volt ohm meter . first key on engine off remove the fuse for the cig lighter . you need to find then hot wire first on the removed fuse . then once you know the hot wire then go to the other terminal set the meter to ohms and one lead to the terminal that is not hot and the other one to body ground . is there a resistance reading?