sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Xc90 2004 car dies and steering locks no reason and

Customer Question

xc90 2004 car dies and steering locks no reason and intermitting 4 times in 2 miles then nothing for 200 miles then again 3 times in .5 mile was going slow round bends garage can't find anything wrong
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause the engine to die. It may be losing spark due to a sensor, engine controller, or wiring issue, or you may be losing fuel. If the problem happens only when going around corners and the shop hasn't been able to find an issue then I would first suspect a fuel issue.

Anything that causes a loss of spark should set a code. I'm assuming then haven't found any codes set.

If there are no codes set then I would turn attention to the fuel system. If the pump is sucking air from higher than the inlet filter, or if the inlet filter is restricted then it can cause a loss of fuel pressure when fuel sloshes away when cornering or possibly with hard braking. This would normally be more of an issue when fuel level is lower. What should be done is try and duplicate the problem with a fuel pressure gauge in place to see if fuel pressure is dropping, preferably with the fuel level low.