Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2008 vivaro with a starter motor problem. It first

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 2008 vivaro with a starter motor problem. It first went wrong when i was driving along and a could hear. Rustling sound over the engine noise i stopped and pulled over and could smell burning in the engine bay. So i let it cool down and then went to re-start and all the lights on dash lit up as normal but engine didnt turn over.
So i then bumped the van and it ran fine.
Took it to a mechanic he said it was the starter motor so replaced that and everything was fine until six months later and same thing happened again. The mechanic then pointed the finger at the starter being faulty so replaced it and then a month later it goes again. Mechanic claims it maybe a faulty batch a starter motors. So i hold my faith with him and it goes again. Then were thinking its down to quality and we used a genuine vauxhall part and then that failed. Ive also had another garage look at it and they also said starter motor is faulty. So im stuck really. Have you heard of this befo
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.