Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Bob, I have a ford focus 2003 1.6 petrol. When i am doing a

Customer Question

Hi Bob,
I have a ford focus 2003 1.6 petrol. When i am doing a long journey my car would loose power. It has had the spark plugs fixed, a new dashboard replaced, new speedometer, coil pack and catalytic converter replaced. It has been plugging into to a computer and had diagnostic test done and it has shown no fault. I have no warning lights either. With all right tests done nothing shows up, but my car still looses power on long journeys.
Can you help me with this problem?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help / advise - Sorry to see you have had a wait.

I just need to ask for a few more details so that we can progress properley -

-What is the FULL reg of he car - So I can accurately determine which systems it has?

What is its Service history like? - and please include when its LAST service was done - AND when its last oil / filter change was?

What sort of mileage do you do when it then begins to play up?

When it does play up - what exactly happens? ie, does it splutter / chug - ?or does it like, start to just slow - lose power ?

Lastly - please check before replying for me.... switch the IGN ON.. ( just on..non start ).. and see if the ENGINE light comes on... Then start it - it should go off. Please let me know on that -

Please let me know on the above - and inc anything else you may think of that may help me to help you..

When I receive your reply - I will get back to you ASAP thereafter -

Best Rgds., MIKE..................................

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mike,My Reg is EIG 8718. I had bought this car 3 years ago, with 115,000 miles on it. It currently has 132,000 miles on it. However, if we have had any problems they have always been sorted out. This car was taken to a mechanic who specialises in fords and he didn't spot anything. It had its last servicing last year. I put new oil in the car four weeks ago. Not sure when the filter was changed.The car doesn't chug or splutter, it suddenly looses power, no warning lights show up or anything when this happens. It seems as it is overheating somewhere, but with nothing showing up on the diagnostic test I am unsure.Yes the engine light shows when the IGN on.Kind regards,
Stuart
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi there- Thank you for your reply and info.

Ok - well you now mention it seems as if its overheating... If it is - that will account for it starting to lose power -- so all else ruled out - if you suspect that - you have to investigate that further now.

You cant always rely on the temp gauge neither - sometimes they will go up into the red when too hot but not always.

Tell me - are you having to add / replace lost coolant then after this occurs??

Rgds, MIKE..............................

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mike,I only suspect that the car is over heating because there isn't anything else I can think off. I'm no expert but it seems to be in long journeys or, if the car has drove on a motorway and then enters traffic which means a lot of stop starting.We haven't replaced the engine coolant and the temp gauge never moves. I have another theory that it could be that there isn't enough air making its way into the car.If I drive the car at 55mph on a motorway, the car doesn't seem to have a problem. However if I drive at 70mph, and then reach slow traffic, that's when the car looses power.If you have any ideas it would be helpful as other mechanics can't see the problem.Regards
Stuart