Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

I have a Toyota avensis it starts then immediately cuts out

Customer Question

Hi I have a Toyota avensis it starts then immediately cuts out can you give some ideas
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 1.8 petrol .1996 model plenty of fuel pressure seams to be loosing it's spark
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.. Sorry to see you have had a wait.

If the engine actually starts and tuns as you describe - but every time then cuts - within 2-3 seconds.. this indicates an immobilser system fault usually. So you need to check that side of things out.. try a different key.. If you have a key failure fault, that will cause this. If you do have an immobilser system fault - you should see indication of this by way of a flashing light / security system light when cranking....

IF its not as above - then you need check the basics -- as you mention, if it has fuel up to the engine - is fuel getting to the cylinders? Plugs -? are they getting wet with fuel? If not - you posssibly have a crank sensor fault - that then too would cause a lack of ign spark..

If it comes to that , you will really need a plug in diagnostic test to see whats wrong - but do check the actual wiring first in the ign circuit -

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this.. I will be only on a little tomorrow due to other commitments but will always get back to you if needed.

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE