Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Golf6 tsi 2011 when I increase speed to overtake the car

Customer Question

Golf6 tsi 2011 when I increase speed to overtake the car stalls and losses power sometimes the engine light comes on flashing then when I switch off and on its gone
Sometimes at low speed I can feel the can stoking like the petrol intake is being interrupted somehow
Please help
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

from your description I'd say its a lack of fuel, so possibly a faulty pump , or a faulty MAF meter , of faulty lift pump , the list goes on which is why I say pulling code is the next step

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which sensors must I unplug and where do I find them on the car?Regards
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the engine sensors are what I'm referring to but I'd strongly reccommend getting a diagnostic test

any garage can do this for about $40