Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

I have a polo classic 1.4 2002 petrol. it just cut its self

Customer Question

i have a polo classic 1.4 2002 petrol. it just cut its self and does not accelerate while driving, but the engine does not stop running but it rattles, but after i switch off the engine the engine and starting it again it accelerate it again and drives
again.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
If you mean that the vehicle doesnt respond to giving it more gas, engine revs but vehicle doesnt accelerate, this is a transmission issue. If you mean that the engine doesnt even rev when pressing down on the accelerator, then this is a throttle body issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are throthle bodies, where do I find them and how do I fix them?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The throttle body is at the intake manifold. The air tube from the air cleaner connects to it. You need to check it for black soot and clean with throttle body cleaner and a rag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will check and report to you on Monday. cheers
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took out the throttle bodies and cleaned them but it is still doing that, I am even thinking that maybe the cause is that when I am on a gentle slope I put the gear lever on neutral and the car just runs I don't know, because I bought a throttle cleaner and sprayed it inside the bodies I drove 110 kms without this problem, then it started again.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, so cleaning the throttle body helped for a bit, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe. I cant say yes because I am still having the problem, maybe I should tell you this I am using the car everyday to work, I only have to switch off the car for few minutes and start it again when the problem occurs, and after switching the car off for those few minutes, I can drive again for another 60 to 70 kms, without this problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Is the check engine light on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the light is not on,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO SIR THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** The previous expert that was helping you has opted out of this question - so I can come in and help you from here..

I have read through all that you have been discussing..

I note you say the Engine fault light does not come on when you have this fault...

The Polo you have, while a modern vehicle with fuel injection , is a relatively simple design when it comes to engine management..

I note you say, when you get the problem of loss of acceleration, it doesn't die altogether, but it rattles... This rattling may well be caused by the hydraulic valve lifters in the engine.. it could be simply because the revs are so / too low.. or, it could be a part of the problem... You need to determine with this, if the engine is getting too hot.. If it is, you have a cooling system fault - and that will cause you all of this... In which case , that then needs further investigation.

If its proven not to be that - then - as you say, when you switch it off - and then on again and it then runs ok.. this is indicative of one of two faults... either you have a clogging fuel filter - or, a clogging / restriction inside the exhaust.

What happens is, either as above - while running, pressure causes it to eventually clog - then when you switch off - the pressure subsides... then you can start and run ok again... until the next time it happens.

So - first thing will be to have the fuel filter renewed.... and then see how it goes. If that then fixes it , thats great. IF not - then you need to have the exhaust system - inc the catalytic converter checked out for faults... Replacement is the only answer so you need a good garage to check / diagnose this properly.

I also have a final concern on the throttle body too.... Do ensure that this is all ok... cleaned fully etc... In some cases they have to be renewed if they give persistant problems....so ensure you properely rule faults out as mentioned above first.

Working through as above - you will get this sorted out.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello again - This is MIKE that answered you as above.

Im just checking in with you as I have not heard back from you at all..... Im just checking to see if you still need help with this... Im always happy to help more so if you need...or - if we are done at least for now, I do just need you to please click on the Ok / Exc ratings for me at this point... Thank you kindly. MIKE.