Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

X type jag diesel sport, cut out while driving eventually

Customer Question

X type jag diesel sport, cut out while driving eventually restarted, broke down after 1 mile, not starting, checked fuses all ok, checked starter, have no feed coming up to fuse box on start circuit fuses under bonnet, fuse in passenger footwell has power,
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine/ gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohmsand it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jumpstart from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if youhave a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Non of the above, I opened the wiring loom under the radiator and found the black wire had a bubble which I could pull apart, reconnected the car is now fine,
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

glad you got it sorted

and thanks for letting me know

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.