sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

All 4 electric windows on my frontera stoped working.

Customer Question

Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If fuses are good and all four windows stopped working at the same time then the problem is either going to be the master switch or a wiring issue. A loss of power or ground to the switch due to a wiring issue will cause all of them to stop. If something in the switch was shorted directly before they stopped then I would suspect a blown fuse.

If fuses are good then the next step will either be to remove the switch and test it's power and ground feeds, or open the boot between the door and body and inspect for broken wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I've said I'm very sure that when opening the switch the leg of one led snaped and touched the switch and at that point I've lost all power to the windows. I've checked all fuses in the dashbord and under the bonet and they are OK. Surprisingly when using the volt meter on the power cable to the windows lift unit I've found a wire with 12v on it.
Is there a chance for the window lift unit to be burned? Or I've heared that window relay could be burned, but where is that? It is on the electric schematics, but I can't find it in the car!

If you unplug a window motor and set up a test light across the terminals, press the window switch, does the test light light up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it doesn't work!
Do you think it is possible to bypass the windows control unit and give power to the motors directly from the cables powering the control unit using the actual switches?

You can definitely unplug the window motor and use jumper wires connected to power and ground to power the motors manually and raise or lower the windows.