Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 1.9 vivaro cdti 05 is not starting it will turn over but

Customer Question

Hi my 1.9 vivaro cdti 05 is not starting it will turn over but not fire ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug (between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if itstending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supplywire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug itand check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see ifthis helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enoughfuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is theissue

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help ?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.