Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

S type jag 50,000 miles auto year 2000. DASH DISPLAYS

Customer Question

s type jag 50,000 miles auto year 2000.
DASH DISPLAYS STEERING LOCKED.
I have tried disconnecting and re connecting the battary . When I tunr the ignition key there is a clicking sound.The lights, horn and other electics function BUT when I TRYto turn the steering wheel with small movements it prevents any movement and the same message is on the dash display "STEERING COLUMN LOCKED" The car is an automatic and I cannot see how it can be moved. are the whheels aløso locked or can the car be placed on a revovery truck.
Best Regards
John.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
The front wheels will spin but the rears will not. The front wheels will not however turn side to side.
I know you have tried disconnecting the battery, but try this, disconnect both cables from the battery and touch their ends together for 60 seconds. This discharges the capacitors in the control modules to reset them. Then reconnect and see if the steering wheel will unlock