Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

2009 S-MAX 2.2 TDCi I have the travelPilot FX. I've not had

Customer Question

2009 S-MAX 2.2 TDCi
Hi, I have the travelPilot FX. I've not had any issues with the system for a month or so. However one day (seemably after some rain) the system would not show the clock on the screen, and on the dashboard screen the only options remaining were "TRIP COMPUTER" and "SETTINGS". Other things like Phone, Aux, Nav all disappeared. Sometimes after driving for a bit the system comes on, you hear the CD changing whining to life. It can sometimes stay on for the whole drive (IE 30 mins) or it can go off and come on at random during the drive. Other days it doesn't come on at all. Have changed the fuse, and used dashboard diagnostic to check battery voltage (12.4 ish but can be 11.9 when first started). Battery voltage seems to have no influence. Rear parking sensor beeps like its had too much sugar when parking activated (this has been like this since I bought it). Wondering if related. Any help appreciated. I am happy to remove stereo and check wiring if that is recommended. This thing seems to have a life of its own! Thank you
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify the audio system seems to completely lose its power supply randomly and with it goes the corresponding audio system options on dashboard screen. Going over bumps in road doesnt seem to make a difference. Engine temp doesnt seem to affect it. All other electrics seem fine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

From what you have described here this sounds like either an internal electrical fault in the radio itself causing this issue here needing either removed and repaired or replaced or an issue with the wiring connection or wires leading to the radio.I would have the wiring and connections checked to see if any issues are found.If a fault is found it will need to be repaired to correct this here.If no wiring faults are found I suspect the radio needs removed and repaired or replaced to correct this fault.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete.Thanks for the reply. These are also the conclusions I have come to so far myself. I am thinking the behaviour is so peculiar that it may be a known S MAX issue; or a Ford mechanic with knowledge of the S-MAX (I think Galaxy has similar set up) may be able to provide more information. Thank you for your input though.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete