Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

This morning I started up my Volvo S60 it is automatic

Customer Question

Hi Mike,
This morning I started up my Volvo S60 it is automatic transmission. I couldn't move the gear stick, it was jammed. Reading the handbook showed that this could possibly be the response to a cold start. So I turned the engine off and on a couple of times. Eventually I could move the car into drive but an Engine System Error Message came up on the display and I'm a little concerned about this. Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I've made payment by paypall but forgot to include my email address on the original enquiry form: ***@******.***
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Ok, based upon symptoms, I suspect either the brake switch above the brake pedal which is part of the shift interlock system, or faulty shift interlock solenoid, with slim chance of the transmission range switch.
At this point, you need to have the control module scanned for fault codes, which will tell us which of the above is the issue, so that proper repair can be made
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks