Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

I've got 2008 ford ka, I've only had since the beginning of

Customer Question

I've got 2008 ford ka, I've only had since the beginning of May , have spent a lot of money undoing 6 years of apparent neglect. Have replaced a lot of the 'under structure ' struts/springs/exhaust/ battery etc as they were picked up during it's service/previous mot as advisory. Recently replaced the air con condenser/radiator as it was falling apart, and the main radiator as the engine has always run hot. As per the service schedule the auxiliary belt has been replaced too. All was well until I asked that the thermostat be swapped out as the top hose was taking along time to get hot, however post this swap the engine started to over heat, took it for a test run and just managed to get it back to mechanics as it started to make 'crunching noises' and the temp warning light came on just as I pulled up, it seems the coolant wasn't circulating , and there was no hot air getting into the cabin. As the coolant was no longer circulating around the engine completely, it appears to get stuck @ the thermostat, so a new housing and stat was installed , however the coolant is still not getting around the engine, which is still over heating, a ford heater control valve was installed after two pattern parts failed , I also replaced the cabin heater control unit(dash board) the heater resistor, the blower motor these swap outs stopped the 30 amp melting into the block and the 15 amp heater control valve blowing continually, stuck as to what could be the problem, I don't want to be paying for confirmation that what I'm about to do next should resolve the problems but I'm hopefully having a new water pump fitted on Tues , should this resolve the issue of the coolant not circulating / no hot air getting into the cabin?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin. This is likely your problem there are really only a couple of possibilities either the water pump impeller has fallen off causing your circulation issue this will be im indirectly obvious when they remove the pump on Tuesday or the thermostat is stuck open. These are really the only two possibilities for no heat and poor circulation most likely the water pump as it's overheating and the thermostat would give other symptoms also . Has the head gasket been tested for failure ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen the pump, it's intact, the stat is part if a complete kit , stat and housing bought to replace a failed stat. I did wonder if the replacement kit could also be @ fault, and was going to suggest that it be taken back for a replacement?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If the water pump is intact it will not be the cause of the problem I would remove thermostat and test at minimum

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks that is what I've suggested,
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No worries it's so easy for them to test while system is drained let me know how you get on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There don't appear to be head gasket problems as the oil is still dark/ free from cream coloured scum, as does the oil filler cap. From my understanding a failing water pump will make an audible noise , just before I returned to my mechanic there were unhealthy grating noises just before the temp warning light came on, all be it briefly so I think I've avoided doing any major heat damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've asked/ suggested that the housing kit be swapped and that the stat from it before it be installed
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

The only way to test for head gasket damage is with a coolant system gas tester this is a tool that passes any air in cooling system through a fluid which changes colour if any hydrocarbons are present in cooling system indicating combustion gasses in the cooling system it doesn't always breach the oil system I would have them test the thermostat also before replacing they only have to put boiling water on it and see if it opens if not replace

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, yes I've asked them to swap out the stat and test the new one , also I will ask them to test the coolant.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok perfect come back to me let me know what they find

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No worries