Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Am looking to bue a Wreg 3.1 auto td jeep. 130 000 miles on

Customer Question

HI I'M SIMON am looking to bue a Wreg 3.1 auto td jeep. 130 000 miles on clock as a towing veichel. what are the engines like.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the Diesels in these are the italian VM units and are OK but not great

and I'm assuming that this is a 2000 Jeep Cherokee

The model was on the LHD market for many years before it came to the UK.

Small luggage area, especially with spare wheel in place. Spare wheel creates a rear blind spot.

Lots came onto the used market all at once, part-exchanged for Voyagers.

12th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey of V and W reg cars.

Chrysler Jeep least reliable of 31 makes of car in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey cars 2000 - 2002.

Chrysler Jeeps had highest warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 260.97 v/s lowest 31.93).

Jeep bottom of Reliability Index again for 2004 combining high average cost of repair of £509.31 with high 43.75 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Automatic transmission and transfer case problems, usually caused by mismatched circumference tyres front to back.

Check electrics such as headlamp self-levelling motors. Headlamp self-levelling motors cost £265 + VAT a side and are an MOT requirement.

Have been aircon evaporator failures at 2 to 4 years old. £1,000 job to put right.

If buying an import, make sure it had four-wheel-drive (they didn't all have).

Look for oil leaks from gearbox, transfer case and axles.

Check steering box mounting carefully. Check tyres for uneven wear.

Cylinder head problems with 2.5 VM diesels up to 1997.

Make sure aircon blows freezing cold.

DaimlerChrysler Technical Service Bulletin (number 21-006-01) dated 29 June 2001 applicable to ALL vehicles equipped with Chrysler automatic transmissions (except 1999 and earlier minivans) states "A new transmission fluid (ATF+4 Type 9602) has been developed and is being used as factory fill for all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions. Until now, vehicles originally filled with ATF+2 or ATF+3 were to be serviced with ATF+3. Effective immediately, it is recommended that all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions (except for 1999 and earlier minivans) be serviced with ATF+4."

Grumbling diff problem cured with Forte Diff & Gear Treatment especially listed for the Jeep Cherokee’s diff problem) together with Valvoline Synpower GL 4/5 F/Synthetic Gear Oil.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.