Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Having left a Vauxhall Agila 2008 on the drive week, it

Customer Question

Hi. Having left a Vauxhall Agila 2008 on the drive for a week, it turns over but won't start. Dashboard lights are all off, then all warning lights flicker then I'm left with just the headlamp main beam warning light on. Is there a simple reset that I can do?
Cheers. Rob.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello ROb

this really sounds like the main battery is discharged / flat to me

So the next step would be to get batttery charger on there and if the battery is more than 3 years old then it may need replacing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,Will do - but why then does the car turn over (at its usual rate) and why are there no dashboard lights as normal?
Cheers.
Rob.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok Rob

thanks for the extra information

in that case this sounds like the security system is preventing a start

this can be tricky to resolve as you need dealer level diagnostics to reset and recode security devices

what can work is resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins.Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clampto hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt,
Thanks for the reply, to be fair all of the information was in my original question. The fault however still remains and with ignition on and the engine turning the only light on the dash is the headlamp main beam (blue). Is this a peculiar Vauxhall problem? I have had similar issues with a previous Vauxhall Vectra and that was a bizarre reset procedure?
Cheers.
Rob.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

sorry to say that the dealer will have to be involved there's no reset procedure

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hi

do you still need help?