Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

SouthAfrica. I have done something wrong during the change

Customer Question

Hello there Sarah, my name is***** have done something wrong during the change of the sparkplugs of my Merc 230TE 1989 model. I am very new to any form of mechanical work. I grew in confidence after I managed to start the car after each of the first 2 plugs had been changed. I think my mistake was not knowing exactly how much petrol was available due to the petrol guage having contracted a mild case of parkinsons as it does not reflect correctly. I am drifting from what happened to the plugs in position 3 and 4 which I changed in one go and just to deflate my confidence-o-rometer completely the vehicle now refuses to start. the plugwires are new. Please could you checklist the correct process and common errors first timers such as myself make while performing this seemingly simple task.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please cancel my request and place the credit on my account. I shall instead be asking a question to the legal department. Thank you in advance. Henk Jordaan
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.
Since you have issues with the fuel gage, I suggest first spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it starts and runs for a few seconds.
If it does, this is fuel related and not related to the plugs. If it doesnt, then we will need to review your repair