Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Car 08 407 1.6hdi has been cutting out randomly but will

Customer Question

hi, car 08 407 1.6hdi has been cutting out randomly but will restart without issue, just happened and did a basic read and got faults p1166 and p0401, the memory had been cleared so they only occurred now. i have rplaced fuel filter and mass airflow sensor, the ger is blanked though, could that be to blame and the fuel fault be a result of teh short?
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have also checked the wiring relevant to the fuel, all seems ok, running fine again now. the egr valve fault has appeared previously when the car cut out, but not the fuel issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wife says it showed a deplloution system faulty on the centre screen at the time.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the P1166 fault can be brought on with a blocked fuel filter and P0401( insufficent EGR flow) can be a sticking EGR valve, or could be down to the blanking plate

As you have already replaced the filter and then also check the connections to the EGR valve and I'd refit the valve to try and clear the codes - you should be able to leave the blanking plate in plate between the valve and the manifold though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,as stated the fuel filter has been replaced, the egr valve is blanked, i have completely checked - no signs of any corrosion vacum pipe is ok, the valve has been this way for years, the issue to do with the stalling/ cutting out is only happening recently and only on the last occassion did it throw up the p1166 fault. what do you think the problem may be bearing that in mind?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the extra information
the P1166 fault can also be brought on by a faulty fuel pressure sensor so it woudl be worthchecking the state of the wiring and connection to that too and if OK then consider replacing the sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks,i am planning on replacing the egr valve anyway to remove the question of same. i will have a look at the fuel sensor, but as you know it is hard to tell if they are faulty, i might get one from breakers to test it. ill get back on to you with developments thanks again
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

good luck

just get back to me on this post

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hi

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,i havent had a chance to check the sensor etc, will be fitting new egr ets at weekend, when i have all that stripped out i will have a better look at it... if i have any other issues i will revert to you next week if that is ok.kevin
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hi

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt sorry about the delay in responding... i removed all sensors and the regulator for teh fuel and cleaned them, checked all wires and they look ok. one problem popped up with the new egr, once fitted the engine started choking and smoke started to come out of it, once i disconected the cable it continued to run fine...do new egrs need to be programmed to the ecu and would this be a typical symptom of one which needs to be programmed?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

a new EGR needs to be able to move from 1 end of its stroke to the other to 'learn' its position, but this happens every time the ignition is switched on so there's no needs to programme it

I'd say that you may have the wrong type of EGR valve as its sounds like its trying to move the wrong way?