Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Jake, I have an Audi A3 2013 1.8T FSI (8V) I'm getting a

Customer Question

Hi Jake,
I have an Audi A3 2013 1.8T FSI (8V) I'm getting a loud squeaky noise over sharp bumps and bumpy driveway, coming from both right and left front. It sounds like the suspension of an old Buick. Been to the dealer and they have changed the suspension on both sides. It appears to be worse. The dealership doesn't know what to do and can't find the issue. They had the car for a week and it is now back with them. Have you had any experience with this before. They are trying to tell me it is a characteristic of the car and I drove another model which did a similar thing but very slightly. It was so bad I had some come to me in a parking lot to warn me that my shocks were damaged.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't always happen when going over bumps. When it first started this was the only noticeable time it would make that noise. Now since changing the parts it makes the noise when turn on my brick driveway. Incidentally after the first visit I had to return to change the water pump and thermostat as the car started overheating. I cannot imagine the two are related. The car is at the dealership now to check the suspension again and resolve an issue where it does a double start in the morning. All of this happening at once.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
were the stabilizer bar bushings checked/ replaced?
were the control arms bushings and ball joints checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what has been changed:
Left front suspension strut complete including shock, spring, top shock mount, wheel bearing and hub
· Right front suspension strut complete including shock, spring, top shock mount, wheel bearing and hub
· Front stabilizer bar
· Both left and right stabilizer bar links.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ball joints were checked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership has a few other a3s doing the same thing. One only had 1200km on the clock. Mine has 62000 on the clock is a lot worse.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
If it's a squeaky noise from the engine bay or suspension area, i would double check the control arms, and the engine/transmission mounts and the exhaust mounts.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Billy. All have been checked and apparently ok. I was hoping that someone here had run into this issue and had some other ideas. Going to try another dealership just for comparison. They currently have 3 cars that are doing this.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I know that those would've been checked, but i would double check them, with wheels on the ground, while trying to move the car up and down. As bushing (or even a ball joint) might cause noises (being a bit dried out or even having some dust over it) without it being visually defective, even without it being broken or having excessive play.
Having this noise (squeak) on hard bumps, would be mostly caused by rubber suspension items rubing on metal. Hence the advice to double check those and the mounts, as mounts would operate the same way, causing the same symptoms. Sometimes, when the components have no excessive play, but cause squeaks, they would be very hard to pinpoint as faulty, especially when the load is off (wheels off the ground).
I would try a different shop to check, as obviously the first didn't get the fault. But this time, i would not replace any parts unless the culprit is pinpointed.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed on this.
Regards,
Billy