Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a renault megane coupe 2010 and my key battery has

Customer Question

Hello i have a renault megane coupe 2010 and my key battery has just died, i have been able to get into the passenger door using the emergency key and now the drivers door but i still cannot start my car. I have changed the batterys with a CR2032 battery but to no avail can you please help
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

sorry to say that this will probably require a visit to the dealer to put right, or at least a Renault specialist with the dealer level tool to reset the key to match the car

what you can try though is a 'hard' reset ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?