Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

I cannot start my x type, security failed is showing on dash

Customer Question

i cannot start my x type, security failed is showing on dash when i turn key
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake if you have an automatic? What does the red security led on the console do when you turn the ignition ON? Does the rest of the vehicle power up normally when you turn the ignition ON?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isnt an automatic, the dashboard lights up, but security failed comes up in dash, no response when you try to start the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was starting to have problems starting the car before this, like the battery was dying on it, but the remote licking still works on it
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes lets first start with checking the battery and cable connections to make sure they are clean and secure. Next turn the ignition ON and look at the security light on the console. It will blink very rapidly for about sixty seconds then blink a code. For example one blink then a short pause then five blinks is code 15. See if you can get me the code. Also try locking and unlocking the vehicle using the key in the driver door lock cylinder. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is the red light inbetween handbreak and gearstick,, it flashes twice, then a pause then three flashes,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio works and lights will come on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OK this tells us the ECM and Instrument cluster key ID does not match. This can be a programming fault or issue with the ECM or Instrument cluster and/or power or ground supply. We can try checking for voltage with the ignition ON to all fuses in the passenger and engine compartment as this will also check the switched system and powertrain relays.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any further assistance. The question is still open on my end since you have not given a rating yet. Please send a positive rating so I can receive credit and if you need anything else please let me know.