Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Just bought a Mitsubishi Outlander on a 07 plate 120k miles.

Customer Question

Hi just bought a Mitsubishi Outlander on a 07 plate 120k miles. Drove home and 3/4 way home lost power. Is the car in limp mode, no warning on dash etc
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right I now have error codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's egr valve issues, needs cleaning and turbo splines potentially blocked. There is no smoke from the turbo but it definitely goes into limp mode when put under pressure, 80mph seems to be the cut off point!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
I would start with the EGR at this point. Was the valve checked/cleaned?
You did include thre codes: P0234, P0401 and P0487, what other codes you have, as the tool indicates 5 fault codes...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi billy thanks for your response I have tried to get the egr valve off but don't have all the tools I need, the torx star head bolt at the back of the egr is s real nightmare to get to. I have a friend who is going to help me next week. The three codes I sent are the only codes but the turbo over boost is the one that concerns me! Could that be blocked turbo splines and if so will that be costly to fix?
I have also enquired about egr removal do you think this is a good option?Thanks Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the limp mode only kicks in after 80mph in 5th or 6th gear and then after an engine off and on is reset. Mpg seems low only getting 35mpg at best even driving conservatively which I'm sure should be better even though it's a big car.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The overboost can be caused by many things, in which i suspect least the turbo splines at this moment (given the info we have so far). I would be more worried about a blocked exhaust, a malfunctioning turbo boost regulating valve, or even boost sensor.
But i would begin by cleaning the EGR (as it would cause these codes), and while at it, check/clean the boost regulating valve.
Get back to me with your findings, so we proceed as needed.
REgards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great thanks billy. I hope your right and it just needs a egr clean. Where can the boost valve be located. I have found the egr but where is the boost valve from that? Can I track it from that location?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The boost valve should be on the intake, between the turbo and the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi billy well I cleaned the egr and throttle body as they are joined together, they weren't too bad to be honest car still has the same issue! After clearing the codes as soon as you clear them the P0487 code comes straight back which signals that is the main cause of the other codes. This code relates to the throttle position control circuit. Question is this the flap in the throttle body not operating properly or the valve in the egr that opens and closes under vacuum to allow exhaust gases to flow away. Couldn't find the boost sensor. Engine code is BSY its a Audi engine 2.0 diesel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did read that when you turn the car off if the car judders you may have a faulty throttle body flap as its designed to shut when turning the ignition off to stop the judder and my car judder slightly?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The intake flap might cause this, as it does control the amount of vacuum, thus the EGR operation, are you able to check if this is seized, operating as it should etc..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry is that the flap in the throttle body? I'm guessing that if this is malfunctioning it will throw out lots of other issues egr valve function being one of them?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
It is the throttle flap. It controls the vacuum, and the EGR is vacuum operated, so they are directly linked. I would check this first, did you check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi billy this is what I took off and cleaned. The egr is directly after manifold then the throttle body assembly. To check should I take the hose off throttle body and start the car and ensure the flap open and closes as per the throttle response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagram of egr into throttle body of BSY engine
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Indeed checking would be seeing the flap open and close.
And having checked this, i would check the wiring of the throttle, and the EGR, and the ECM. Make sure you have tight and clean contacts on these, as if the parts are operating as they should, the wiring will cause the same code