Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

My Ranger will not select 4wd. while now the 4wd light and

Customer Question

Hi .My Ranger will not select 4wd. For a while now the 4wd light and RFW is on constantly on the dash. Went to select 4wd other day on the lever but it will not engage stays in 2wd.
After reading up on forums I started by checking vacume pipes to the RFW selector all ok. Then I decided to check if drive was comeing out of the transfer box to the front wheels. The prop was turning fine into the axle but still no drive at wheels.
Does this mean I have an issue with the front axle? Or is it an issue with the fact the lights are on the dash all the time not allowing it to select 4wd?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
The lights being on, indicate a problem: a fault code is stored in the 4wd control module. This requires checking using a diagnostics computer, to retrieve the fault code(s). The code should give us direction for checking etc... The problem seems to be the front axle (given the symptoms), but further checks are needed to pinpoint and fix the issue.
If you get back to me with the code(S), i would be able to further explain waht and how to check as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have since sorted this problem myself. splines on the axle and drive shift had worn after hard use. Therefore youre help has not helped in this case. So don't really see why I should have to pay the fee.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I had not given an answer yet, i was asking for more info (info request), and you did not get back to me, hence i was unable to help.
I will report this to customer service.
Get back to me if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy