Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have mercedes 350 Clk. It has manifold position error.

Customer Question

I have mercedes 350 Clk. It has manifold position error. Exhaust color black suggest engine in running rich which should be impossible in a closed loop system with alpha sensors etc continuously metering fuel air mixture.
Told that cleaning and around intake flap should fix or its stepper motor st fault. Then is big bucks to throw away manifold assembly and replace entire unit.
Any comments welcome.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
On most models there are flaps in the intake that either the actuator fails to operate or the flaps become stuck or damaged and cause this here.Most common that I have had to do was replace the entire intake for this fault here.I suspect this most likely needs done on your model here.This would need tested further to be sure.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error still on. Throttle pedal recailbrated and produced better performance. It is suggested that in 7 out of 10 cases removal and cleaning solves the issue unless the actuator is work damaged .
Thinking to pay for cleaning labour then if no success I know of 40k mile 350 which has intake available. Do you know mercedes price for this item ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Work is samsung for worn !
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
From a dealer you are looking at around $1190 for the intake and 2.7 hours labor to have replaced.If you can locate a used one it would be cheaper but no guarantee it will work properly.
To clean it it all depends on what is done.If they remove and clean it this can cost 3 hours labor and a new set of intake gaskets but if they clean it with a cleaning tool/machine this may only cost an hours labor to have done.
Thanks Pete