Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Would you know how to open a tailgate/boot VW Touran 2005? I

Customer Question

Hi would you know how to open a tailgate/boot for a VW Touran 2005? I cannot open it and it does not have a release latch inside. thanks.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've managed to locate the release latch so I can open the boot but once I close it it dies not open from the outside. Would some body be able to diagnose the problem and let me know which part I'm likely to need and approximate cost and labour cost or time.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im sorry I was not on when you first asked your question..
I have to say at this point, its hard to cost / have any idea of costs because we dont know at this stage what it will need in the way of parts... Labour costs too vary so much around the country and from one place to another - so, what I would suggest is to make a couple of calls and get quotes for the job at least labour wise - that way there are no nasty surprises...again, they wont be able to quote parts as yet until they know whats wrong..
To give you some insight -what tends to happen is the actual mechanism can sometimes break internally - meaning you need a whole new lock mechanism.. as you cant get the internal parts separate... but before diagnosing that - a mech / tech will remove the panel to gain access to the mechanisms and be able then to literally see whats wrong if its a cable / attachment fault. Often you get a broken cable - or where it attaches to the lock.. This if its one or the other is really a cheap fix... as opposed to a new lock mechanism.
Im sorry I cant be specific on costs -Im sure you can see why.. but thats the way forward on this - once the panel is removed a diagnosis / fix can be sorted then.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out.
-- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,thank you for your reply. I have spoken to a couple of garages and they seem to think it is the release button. I have been on euro car parts to locate the the part to get an idea of cost but I am not sure what I am looking for. would you know the part name or number? my reg is UNZ 8061. thanks