sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

K, and my Landcruiser LC200 has an ABS alarm with siren on

Customer Question

Hi, I am Peter K, and my Landcruiser LC200 has an ABS alarm with siren on for the last two days. This was preceded by a funny noise that would be triggered by breaking for the past year. Later it would come even without the brakes being applied. Pse advise. ***@******.***
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
It sounds like you most likely have a wheel speed sensor issue. When a speed sensor gets weak it will start producing a signal at a higher speed. When coming to a stop a weak sensor will drop out before you're stopped. When the module sees a speed sensor drop while pressing the brake it thinks that wheel has locked up so the ABS will activate. I believe this was probably the noise you had been hearing. If the sensor failed completely then it would have set a fault code and turned on the ABS light.
The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool to see what fault codes are set in the ABS module and then electrical testing would most likely need to be done from there to know exactly what is going on, but if it's setting a speed sensor code then that sensor will alost surely need to be replaced.