Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ya, I have a 2003 LWB Auto 3.2. 160k miles. Its just started

Customer Question

Hiya, I have a 2003 LWB Auto 3.2. 160k miles. Its just started to 'bite' engaging first and reverse. Drives fine except doesn't want to change up without manual help sometimes. Changed the transmission oil and filter but not cured the problem. Any ideas or is it a dealer visit to see whats going on ??
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd next then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

if this is OK then its possibly a sticking 'A' solenoid which requires the sump pan to come off to access

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?