Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

308: I have a Peugeot 308.When I start the car, the icon

Customer Question

I have a Peugeot 308.
When I start the car, the icon in the dash board goes from zero to max. It also tells me to stop the car. While this is all happening the fan kicks in. It doesn't stop until 2 minutes afm
ter the engine has been switched off.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection. The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hi
do you still need help?