Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Bmw: .i have a 2007 3 series 2litre m sport,my engine management

Customer Question

hi.i have a 2007 3 series 2litre m sport,
my engine management light is coming on and when it does the car looses power in all gears.i have to pull over switch engine off and restart it.
it then drives ok for awhile before it happens again.
can you help
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
When the engine control module (refered to as DME on your model) detects a fault within its components (sensors, actuators, solenoids, wiring etc..), it triggers the warning light, reverts to limp home mode (reduced performance to prevent further damage), and stores fault codes in the fault memory.
You need to retrieve the fault codes, as they would give us direction on what to check.
Having the fault codes, i would be able to explain exactly what and how to check.
So, to proceed, we need to get the car connected on to a diagnostics computer, to retrieve the fault codes and proceed accordingly.
As there are dozens of components involved, we cannot start diagnosing at random, as it would prove most inefficient (both time and money wise).
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy