Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Traffic: I have renault traffic and makes a loud whizzing

Customer Question

Hi I have renault traffic and makes a loud whizzing noise for some time now. The noise is there when accelerating, when in neutral and when revving whither clutch pressed in?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Would you be able to remove the drive belt, to turn the pulleys by hand (compressor, idle pulley, guide pulley etc..)? to figure out which one is causing the noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't have tools to do so I put a hose to the turbo and heard nothing I also done this to air con motor and nothing but when I hid so with alternator the noise was there?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
So the noise is most apparent on the alternator...
did you check the two pulleys near the alternator? (the tensioner pulley, and the guide pulley)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know what to look for is it possible whenfan belt was replaced 2 years ago that it was put on too tight and the bearing in alternator is now worn
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If the belt was too tight, it would first cause the guide pulley bearing to go bad.
I will include the belt diagram, so you are able to identify each pulley, and confirm the noise (as you are doing). Once the noise is pinpointed, the respective bearing will need replacement, here is the diagram:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzbFNzSGxKdEQ5SzA/view?usp=sharing
Here's some info on the diagram:
PAS: power assisted steering
AC: compressor
T: tensioner pulley
G: guide pulley
CS: crankshaft pulley
GEN: alternator pulley
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic that was to fix van didn't turn up , I am searching for another when I get one I'll get in touch, thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time... And get back to me if further assistance is needed.