Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Audi Q7: I have an Audi Q7. The glow light comes on and

Customer Question

Hi I have an Audi Q7. The glow light comes on and there is a lack of power. The coolant level seems to be dropping quickly as well. Garage have done a pressure check on the coolant and no drop in pressure so say leak must be in the engine but don't know where. I have a warranty but the warranty company will not pay unless proof of a catastrophic failure. Same thing happened about 9 months ago. I dont want to pay for another turbo if the same problem will keep happening. Any suggestions?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Having the glow light on, means that fault codes are stored within the system memory. Did the mechanic connect a diagnostics computer to check those fault codes?
is the engine overheating?
do you have coolant in engine oil, or transmission oil?
I'm asking these questions, as accordingly we would be able to provide proof. Also you can check this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Block-test-kit-for-petrol-and-diesel-engines-original-BT500-leak-tester-/171632095441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f611f0d1
As it would provide engine failure proof.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy,I have some answers to your questions:
Did the mechanic connect a diagnostics computer to check those fault codes? Yes they are:
4110 P100E - Torque intervention
1349 P0545 - Exhaust gas temperature sensor
4109 P100D - Turbo adjustment difficulty of movementis the engine overheating? No temperature looks normal
do you have coolant in engine oil, or transmission oil? - there is no detected trace of coolant in the oil. I've not asked how they check this. What method would you expect? other than just looking.
I mentioned the kit you gave the link to but was told this does not give a definitive test result for diesels.I understand that the turbo needs replacing as there are seized components. I'm after advice on what could cause this given the clue about the coolant level. It seems a coincidence that the coolant level was dropping quickly last time before the turbo needed to be replaced. Once the new turbo was fitted the coolant was fine. No specific fix made to the coolant system then but it started dropping quickly 9 months later i.e. just before the glow light started coming on and going into limp mode.Is the turbo effecting the coolant or is the coolant effecting the turbo?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I do appreciate all the details...
I had a million ideas crossing mi mind reading and analysing your input.
Long story short, i believe that the coolant issue, is causing the turbo failure.
I would check the EGR cooler for coolant leaks, and the intercooler for coolant leaks.
Would you be able to check that, as this would confirm the original problem causing the turbo to seize.
If not, i believe the coolant is escaping from the engine itself to the exhaust causing this.
Kindly get back to me with the results.
Regards,
Billy