Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

207: last 3 months I have has the antipollution

Customer Question

Hi for the last 3 months I have has the antipollution faulty coming up on my car, the car drives fine and doesn't go into Limp mode, but im looking to seel it and cannot really with this warning. Back in jnauary this year I had to take the car to an auto electrician as there was a number of corroded wires. These were all fixed, car serviced and Exhast replaced, since the exhast has been replaced this warning has come on, I took it back to my Mechanic, and changed the Lamda sensor as that was what his machine was saying, this has no been changed out 3 times. Any ideas of what it could be? occasionally it misfires but as soon as I rev it a few times it seems fine. Its a peugoet 207 58 Plate 1.4 71k miles
cheers
Sharon
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sharon and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
When the exhaust was replaced, did they replace the catalytic converter? and if yes, did they use original parts (from manufacturer)?
please confirm if you have the petrol 1.4 or the diesel 1.4.
manual or auto transmission?
can you tell me which codes are you getting on the machine (the exact code that is interpreted as: change the sensor)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy,It was just the exhast that was changed, is wasn't a Peugeot one.
Its a 1.4 Manual Petrol. Im not sure on the codes at the moment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't got the codes, but the details I was given by mechanic were the Lambda sensor short circuit in either the Sensor, wiring or ECU
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
So the catalytic converter was not replaced... (if you could double check that the exhaust didn't have a catalytic converter in it, it would be great).
Can you get the fault codes (as, since the light is on, fault codes are stored) as there are many codes that indicate a problem of sensor?
Was the wiring from the sensor to the ECU (engine control unit) double checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The catalytic converter was not replaced, I have sent a message requesting the codes, I don't think they have checked the wiring yet
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That is great.
Having the codes, i should be able to tell you exactly what and how to check (including the wiring involved).
I will be waiting for the info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billy,
Apologies it took a while to get a response from my mechanic.
The codes are P0571 and P0132, I have attached a picture
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sharon,
Thank you for the details.
P0132: If there are no exhaust or intake leaks (no other fault codes and no other symptoms would confirm this issue), then the wiring from the O2 sensor to the engine control unit need checking, i would start at the engine control unit connectors.
The other fault (P0571) would not cause the antipollution light, however, it might also be caused (most likely) by wiring issues.
I would start by checking the engine wiring harness, as this seems to be the culprit.
The second fault is usually by a fault of the CAN (controller area network) wiring, between the cruise control unit and the engine control unit.
So both faults are most likely caused by the engine control wiring, and you have the exact locations to check (from O2 sensor to engine control unit, and from cruise control unit to engine control unit).
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance or details are needed.
Regards,
Billy