Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Slk280: I have 3 codes seemingly come up together P0060,

Customer Question

Hi I have 3 codes seemingly come up together P0060, P0064 & P0574 5 times now. No detectable engine running probs. These come back intermittantly after clearing and over next few drives. I know what the faults mean. Its just I'm trying to understand what the root cause is to enable fix. I did have 2 other codes P0436 & P2193 come up 1st time but havent seen them since.
Regards
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
A TSB (technical service bulletin) was issued by mercedes, as this is a common problem on the 272 engine (M272 being the technical name of the engine you have), it does indicate those fault codes and others. I will attach this first:
Bulletin
Driveability
Engine management
Engine mechanical
Noise, vibration and harshness
Affected vehicles
All models with 272 engine code.
Problem
Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated.
Trouble codes stored: P0059, P0060, P0063, P0064, P0271, P0272, P0275, P0276.
Cause
Camshaft position (CMP) actuator(s) faulty.
Remedy
Parts
Description Part number Quantity
Camshaft position (CMP) actuator A272 051 01 77 As required
Fit new camshaft position (CMP) actuator(s).
But having the 0574 with them, on the oxygen sensor, makes me doubt the catalytic converter (being clogged).
The 0574, 0436 and 2193, do indicate all the same problem with oxygen sensor 1 bank 1. This does not have to be related with the two other faults (with the camshaft).
For these i would check the wiring for the O2 sensor, and the connectors, and if good, swap the sensors between bank one and bank 2, to confirm if the fault moves with the sensor (get codes about bank 2 sensor 1) then the sensor needs replacement.
As for the other codes, and before replacing the CMP actuators, i would check the balancer shaft pulley (visually), as those are known also to fail (teeth become worn), and cause multiple codes.
Kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy