Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius Spirit.It's been driving fine,

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius Spirit.
It's been driving fine, no strange sounds.
However I have started getting 2 warning lights that don't disappear from my dashboard.
1) The big red triangle light with the exclamation mark.
2) The orange engine light
I checked online on how to get into diagnostic mode, and everything seemed to be working.
Before I spend loads of money on mechanics, I was hoping for some advice to check whatever is humanly possible, so that when I do take the car in I am speaking from a position of some intelligence.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Both lights indicate that faults were detected by the engine control module, accordingly fault codes are stored within the module memory.
The only way to proceed would be hooking the car on to a diagnostics computer, to retrieve the fault codes.
As these fault codes would indicate the faulty component/wiring to be further checked and repaired as necessary.
If you could only get the fault codes, i would be able to explain those, their causes, how and what to check accordingly.
Would you be able to take the car, only to get the fault codes?