Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Im VadimGot e320 cdi 2004 reg. will not start,ESP defe

Customer Question

hi im Vadim
Got e320 cdi 2004 reg. will not start,ESP defective.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Privet Vadim and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Did you check anything yet (fuses etc..)?
did you try cleaning the ESP module connectors (as those are known to fail and cause this)?
do you have a scan tool so we can retrieve the fault codes to check accordingly?
when you say engine will not start, does it crank (turn) or you get nothing when trying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have fault codes. CAN communication with control unit,terminal 61 has open circuit.
Engine will not crank/turn. Glow plugs light doest come up on dash.Not sure where ESP connectors r. Have checked all fuses and they all ok,replaced brake switch and starter relay is new swell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Faut codes: c1514,9204,9081p2311,p2312
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
If you have the w211 mercedes model, then the system would be the SBC, and i would first check the connectors at the unit (which also controls the ESP).
The unit is located to the front of the strut, it has the hydaulic modulator integrated within, so you will identify it as it has all the hydraulic pipes that go to the wheel brakes.
Remove the connector, check for any water damage, corrosion, etc... make sure the contacts are clean, and fit tightly.
Kindly get back to me with your results so we proceed as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have checked that first thing when that happen. When i got that car owner said its a new unit. Ill go and check now. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all ok no water or corrosion.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
If the unit was checked and is fine, do you know if this was coded on the car, as SBC modules need coding on the car to function...
If it was, then it's either the wiring, the ECM or the ignition switch.
I tend to check the wiring first in your case, as both units aare getting the communication faults.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if it was coded but it was working well before.Whats Ecm and where is ignition switch? Thanks
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The ECM would be the engine control module, it is in engine bay, in e-box under the windshield behind the coolant reservoir.
The ignition switch would be right where you insert the key. This would be the ignition switch.
You can also check the gateway (for the CAN network, which is near the OBD socket), make sure it has power supply at pins 6 and 1, if not check fuse 41, and the wiring.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning,
So how do i check ECM and the ignition switch? I guess ill need a volt meter?
Thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I would check the connectors on the ECM, and before the ignition switch, check if getting power (with a voltmeter) on pins 1 and 6 in the gateway module near the obd socket. As The problems relate to the CAN system, and this would be the gateway for the CAN on your model.
If no power is there, check fuse 41.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The CAN is a little black box that is under steering with push in connector? ill need to go and buy a voltmeter cos i haven't got one
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The can gateway has two connectors. One with three pins, and the other with 10 pins.
On the ten pin connector, you should be getting 12volts between pins 1 and 6.
I would first check fuse 41.
You are getting those can messages, this would be the first to check...
I hope you're not over your head on this one, as those are sensitive electronics that need trained people to work on...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So ECM its ECU???
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The ECM is the ECU, and also called EDC on your diesel model. All the same part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****'t find fuse 41. Is it in the front under bonnet?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 41 is at the end face of the dashboard, you need to remove the cover to access the fuse box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I can't check anything cos its raining.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Vadim,
Take your time, get back to me with the results...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all fuses they all good. I don't hear fuel pump when i turn ignition on,is that normal?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, with the fault codes you have, this is normal.
Now let's check for power supply on the Gateway...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy
I can't find it where to test,just one more time where is it?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Vadim,
The gateway on your model (the module) is located under the dash near the OBD socket, it has two connectors, the first has 10 pins, the second three pins. You need to check if getting power supply at pins 1 to 6 (multimeter leads on pins 1 and 6) with ignition on, you should get battery voltage. Obviously pins 1 and 6 are at the 10 pin connector (the large connector).
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have got power there. What's next?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Next, we need to access all the control modules one by one, to see which ones have the communication codes, so we can eliminate possible causes, until we get to the specific wiring we need to check, and if the wiring is good, replace the respective control module.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Si I need new Gateaway?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
No,
we need to access all the control modules one by one, to see which ones have the communication codes, so we can eliminate possible causes, until we get to the specific wiring we need to check, and if the wiring is good, replace the respective control module (or gateway).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how do I do that?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You need t ouse the scan tool (the same way you got the fault codes initially), star scan would be recommended, as it would be able to access all the modules.
check them all for the fault codes, (or lack of), write the fault codes, and get back to me with the codes from each module, so we try to pinpoint the fault location.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how many modules are there? and can i buy STAR testing equipment?Full test been done the first time.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If the first time fulle testing was done, then the CAN wiring (espcially the line at terminal 61) need double checking, and replacing as necessary.
If you still get the same codes, then the ESP module requires replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The CAN wiring and the terminal 61 is that what I've just checked?ESP module is it that unit with pipes?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
We checked for power supply on the CAN module (also called the gateway).
But there seems to be a problem with the CAN wiring (the wiring network between the control modules), these are the ones that require checking for continuity, and if the problem persists, you replace the module.
The ESP module is the one with the pipes in front of the strut dome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But we didn't proof that CAN module is working fine,only checked power is going to it.
What other modules are there?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Vadim,
This is called a process of elimination. As since other modules (transmission, body, lighting, doors, alarm, immobilizer, ignition, etc...) are not having communication errors, than the gateway or CAN module seems to be working fine. So the problem is between the ESP, the ECU and the CAN, ignition included.
This wiring would need checking now, the CAN wiring that is between those modules.
If the wiring is good (continuity), then we start suspecting modules.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Billy,Just checked secondary battery for SBC and its 12.5 volts,but its original MB battery,got date on it 06/04.Is it worth replacing??
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Vadim,
having 12.5 volts means it is still good.
Either way, this auxiliary battery would not cause the issue we're having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i check power supply to other MODULES? Or I need a STAR DIAGNOSTICS?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Vadim,
Checking the power on the other modules is not needed (body control module lighting module etc...) as they would not cause this problem.
The problem is between the ESP, the ECU and the CAN, ignition included.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By checking end to end each wire?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, by checking the continuity of each wire (the CAN wires only).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From ECU to SEE unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SBC unit
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Between the gateway, the SBC and the ECU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's gonna be a nightmare testing all that wiring.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
It is a nightmare... that is why diagnosing using the star would save a lot of time...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have anyone who can do star diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that myself as soon as the weather is good
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time.... Get back to me with the results...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I'm gonna check at CBS unit if it's receiving signal from gateway unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SBC sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And terminal 61 it's not what I've checked for power at gateway unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Vadim,
I'm afraid i cannot speak on the phone due to shop noises.
We checked the power supply at the gateway.
Now, you can check continuity (end to end) of the wires from gateway to SBC.