Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

My Ford Focus Tdci 1.6 [2005] has problems with dash lights

Customer Question

Hi My Ford Focus Tdci 1.6 [2005] has problems with dash lights coming on intermittently and a stuttering kind of loss of power. Any suggestions about a remedy?
Regards
Joe
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mechanic checked and sanded alternator connections and sprayed the back of the dash with ignition sealant but the problem persists. The boot doesnt open on the remote key button for the other doors but only with the boot opening button. This problem coincided with the dash problem.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joe and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.was the alternator output checked?were the ground points (under the dash, at the steering column, at the footwells) checked?was the ignition switch checked?Were the connectors at the instrument panel checked?is the problem only with the instrument panel, or the whole dash?was the wiring entering the tailgate checked (as this most commonly breaks within its cover, right where it enters the tailgate from the body)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy
I will ask my mechanic your questions and get back to you. One thing I forgot to say - when I slap the top of the dash the lights go out again.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
This further confirms the loose connection, or dirty contact.
It could also be an internal fault to the instrument cluster (as these are very common failures on this model), but we need to make sure the connections are good to proceed.
regards,
Billy