Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Stan. My Mercedes Atego (1999?) is showing the EDC light

Customer Question

Hi Stan. My Mercedes Atego (1999?) is showing the EDC light and the code FR 1 5652. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.This code would most likely mean: brake light short to earth, so the wiring and relay for the brake light would require checking and replacement if necessary. However, to confirm, can you get me the engine number or code? (such as: OM904.911)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy! My mechanic said he doesn't think it's this because the parking lights go out.The engine number is ***** The frame number is ***** Hopefully one of these helps! Let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You have the 2002 Atego 817, with engine code: OM904.911
Accordingly the code 5652 means: brake light, short to earth.
I would check the wiring, the brake light relay, and the electronic braking control module.
I'm not saying that the lights aren't working, i'm saying that this code needs checking on the light earth side, within the circuitry, as these would trigger this code.
Kindly get back to me with your results, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that, Billy. We will check that and get back to you. The registration document says it is a 1999 not 2002 if that makes a difference. Thanks again.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome!
If the VIN (frame or chassis number) is correct, then this should be a 2002. However, it does not make a difference as this model (the exact model with exact engine) went unchanged from 1998 to 2004.
Regards,
Billy