Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own a 2013 audi S6. i absolutely love the car but there

Customer Question

Hi i own a 2013 audi S6. i absolutely love the car but there seems to be an issue with the steering. The steering is electric so i could not check any fluids etc. When turning into or out of a side road while at low speed, i get a vibration coming through
the steering wheel. Is this a faulty steering rack? every other type of driving and the steering is smooth
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you can turn the steering from lock to lock whilst stationary with no vibration then I doubt its the steering rackwhat I'd reccommend is to check over the suspension joints Check for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?