Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Ford Escape, V6: Ron! Ford escape v6, 2002. 3 codes come

Customer Question

Hi Ron! Ford escape v6, 2002. 3 codes come on my obd scanner Po43F, Po7E5 and finallyPo100. Engine sounds like 1 cylinder doesn´t allways come in. If cranked up things get normal. What´s wrong? All the best! thor, Iceland
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi everybody!I didn´t come up with a UK car question. My Ford Escape was made in Kansas city 2002.
The car was sold to a friend of mine in California brand new the same year. It was exported new to ICELAND. I bought the car 2006, it’s been driven 65000 miles. The engine is a V6, and the car is 4WD. The codes that I read come from a D9000 OBD meter. The engine shakes occasionally, all cylinders sometimes come all in. The real problem occurs when driving at an even speed, low revolutions and I put an easy load on the engine, then at least 2 cylinders miss power, engine shakes very much, then kind of comes in. I have a Haynes manual, I am an educated diesel mechanic, I am a chief engineer on a Container ship, and have worked over 40 years with motors and such. My question was, what can be wrong? My conclusion was that the usual ignition coils are not the problem, My OBD has shown me that through the years. So this leaves me with dirt in the mass flow Sensor (as I´ve already mentioned), MAF sensor broken or a draught air withdrawn from Somewhere from the MAF sensor to the intake manifold. Could it be an oxygen sensor,A sensor from the intake or an exhaust sensor? I´m not into cars, can manage in manyCases. There has got be someone who can respond to stupid question, advise me of Likeable cause. xxxx x. xxxxxxx
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thor and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
This does sound like a MAF fault, or MAF circuit fault.
Did you clean the MAF connector and the ECM connector?
did you clean the MAF itself (on the inside)?
using your OBD tool, can you check the short term and long term fuel trims at idle and at 2000 rpm and get back to me with the results? (so confirm whether it's the MAF or a vacuum leak.
With engine on and warm, at 2000 rpm, is the O2 sensor signal jumping between 0.2 to 0.8 volts (at a 1 second or 0.5 second intervals)?