Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Ford escort solar cabriolet: , GOT A FORD ESCORT CABRIOLET

Customer Question

HI, GOT A FORD ESCORT CABRIOLET 1995 HAVING PROBLEMS WITH IT STARTING PUT A NEW BATTERY AND STARTER MOTOR ON IT STARTED THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES THEN WERE GETTING A CLICKING NOISE FROM THE CENTRAL LOCKING BOX IN THE FOOTWELL NO LIGHT OR HORN GOING AND THE STARTER MOTOR JUST KEEPS CLICKING WHEN I TRY AND START IT ANY IDEAS THANKS
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.. Sorry to see you have had a wait on your question.
Clicking - that occurs on any given circuit is usually an indication of restricted voltage / amps going through the circuit.. this is caused by either, a bad wire / connection to any given component.. bad earth on the circuit ( or main earth).. bad power supply ( battery - but you have ruled that out )..or faulty given component.
I would suggest you check the main earth on the car - where it connects from the battery to the body - and then to the transmission / engine.. a bad connection there will cause these faults.
Check also that the starter motor is actually tight on its bolts - else it will do this.
Check the actual connections to the starter - check its main large connector - and - the smaller one .. thats the trigger wire from the ignition.
I would start with the main earth as above given the fault with the CDL you mention also ( locking).. and go from there.
If you cannot find the fault as above - you then need to check the circuit from the interior fuse box - and its connection back up to the ignition unit.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.