Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

I've got a CLK 320 and the roof wont open/close sometimes.

Customer Question

I've got a CLK 320 and the roof wont open/close sometimes. Seems to be caused by the roof top compartiment not opening (where the roof hides itself). We've seen that the right side of that cover (from front seen) is a bit higher than the rest of the plates around it. Also, if we press down on the corner of the right side, we feel a little space before it stops, while this is not the case of the left side.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A certified mercedes dealer has looked into this twice. Softtop has been replaced entirely.Pushing down on the left side of the softtop compariment cover does help with the issue, until it happens again...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heres a picture of the difference of the sides
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That difference happened after quite a while. I just closed the roof.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
tell that guy to put a shirt on lol,ok, so it does not happen daily?
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
the issue sounds like a misadjusted latch or the pump or cylinder is weak, what else have they checked and replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its 34 degrees celcius and we're on holiday.They've replaced too much to name. It has been a problem for 2 years and i cant remember which parts they replaced.Is there anything i should try to adjust?
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
i would not advise adjusting, as you can cause more issues if not done correctly, if the cylinder is weak on that side it sill cause this issue, im shocked they replaced the whole top, that is extreme and i have never seen anyone replace the whole top. i dont have any instructions for adjustment, its all off of experience and measurements, usually compare to another cabrio. so does the top stop working when this happens?
can you open the cover and take a few pictures of that side so i can see maybe something is out of place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
you have done excellent!, thank you! ok when i look at the cylinder pictures i see fluid on the sheet metal under or near the cylinders, am i correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like they went crazy with lube :/.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note that we are in Italy, so there's quite a time difference.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
ok it is 3pm here in usa now how about you? and does the top only act up when the top is DOWN or does it still not close when you CLOSE the roof or put the roof UP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had an issue with the top not being able to get into the latches on top of the windscreen, which made us push it down so it would latch on.
The last check was 4 days ago (with a mercedes dealer that chickened out), and the thing explained above was just before that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its 10PM here now, by the way.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
ok let me do some thinking, we may not be able to come to a conclusion but ill try, ill check back tomorrow. good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** nice day :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, it could be caused by the right side; it shouldnt go up when the car is just parked.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried opening the cover. Did not work (hang). Giving a couple hits on the left side while holding the opening button made it being able to open the cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, all the electronica was replaced, not the mechanical parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see any difference in the sides (the right side was not higher than the left).
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
Ok after looking at all your pictures and hearing the scenario , thisnis something I don't think I will be able to help with over the Internet. This needs hands on with a scan tool. I would suggest a different dealer than the one you had taken it to or if you do go back tell them you want a TS involved. That is a Mercedes technical specialist. They work as a middle man between the tech and the engineers and have access to all the top secret repair info the dealers do not. If you get them involved the car will be fixed. They are always a big help. But as for here I don't think we can come to a satisfactory conclusion seeing as how I don't want to advise you to try adjusting anything or taking things apart. Sorry for this but I don't want to leave you worse then when you came. Lou
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
Also I will opt out just in case another expert may be able to help
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
I have opted out which means other experts will be able to review and respond to your question. Hope someone can help. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help nonetheless. Will try to get in touch with Mercedes Benz NL via twitter, too.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
Wish I could do more. I wish you the best. Cheers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw a different message above the reply box before you replied. Are you re-allocated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh now its fine again. Nvm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that the hydraulic cylinders used for pushing the compartiment cover up are not in sync/malfunctioning. Why else would one side go up when its heaten up (other side not) and does the other side require a little push to make it being able to open the cover?
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
ok the cover that is in the trunk that you have to set into the catches , if that is what you are talking about then yes the shocks fail all the time, and the shock allows the cover to move back and not touch the switch which will stop soft top operation. if we are talking about the same cover INSIDE the trunk then get the shocks replaced soon. i bet that is what is causing this, im glad you said something..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill try to get them to look at the shocks when we are able to.
Expert:  Lou P replied 1 year ago.
ok, hopefully that will take care of it, i wish you the best